Using the septic tank outflow?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Using the septic tank outflow?
Author: Rman (Rman)
Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 9:47 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We are all full of something, that's why we are here. I second Eco's thoughts, dialogue is important and many innovations happen because the person didn't " know " that it couldn't be done that way. Keep thinking and trying things out.

Author: Johntodd (Johntodd)
Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 8:39 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Thanks! It is true - in science - that we learn more from failure than from success.

Lord knows I'm full of ideas. Full of something, anyway. LOL!

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, August 22, 2014 - 6:22 pm

John, nothing wrong at all in putting up ideas, especially when the idea proves not practical, or in any way inadvisable.
The sharing of failures can be even more valuable than the sharing of successes. Everyone gets the chance to learn and apply corrections.
Keep up the good work, wishing you well.

Friday, August 22, 2014 - 3:34 pm

OK, that kills that idea.

Onwards!

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 12:53 pm

From the Humanure Handbook, 3rd Edition, Chapter 7, page 142 (http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Chapter_7.pdf):

Septic Tanks

It is safe to assume that septic tank effluents and sludge are highly pathogenic (see Figure 7.3). Viruses, parasitic worm eggs, bacteria and protozoa can be emitted from septic tank systems in viable condition.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 8:40 pm

OK, thanks. Just a thought.

I think a composting toilet is the way to go.

Thanks again!
-Johntodd

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 4:50 pm

John, my first thoughts are these:

If you could reduce the amount of water being sent into your septic tank by, for example, re-routing kitchen wash water into a mulch filter, that would reduce the load on your septic tank. A half-flush on your toilet cistern would also help to reduce it. With a lower water component in the septic tank, the bacteria working to break down solids will have an easier time of it.
Then the eventual discharge of water from the septic tank will be so reduced that any attempt to reclaim any of it would be a waste of time and effort.
That discharge is, anyway, absolutely full of pathogenic organisms that you would not wish to come in contact with. The only place it can be dealt with satisfactorily is in the topsoil, spread over a wide area, as required by your local authority regulations.
Better still, set up a Humanure Toilet in your back shed if there's no room in the bathroom.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 1:13 pm

Hi! I am so new to this...please forgive a silly question.
I don't have the ability to alter my plumbing in the house or elsewhere, but I do have access to the pipe that runs out of the septic tanks. The pipe terminates in the backwoods in a very remote area.
Would the fluid that comes from this pipe be useful? IOW, could it be put in a compost pile, or drained into a barrel of charcoal and left for a year? Any other ideas?
Thanks!
-Johntodd

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.