Composting on small island

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Composting on small island
Author: Revreid (Revreid)
Friday, February 06, 2015 - 8:29 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

To answer Ecointerest, the island is Bachaw Norte, Kalibo, Aklan, Philippines. I am preparing to head over in August, and join some priests that have already been working with the people on the ground. A foundation is in the process of building houses and I advised them not to put in water toilets, as the water level is too high, etc.. I need alternatives for them for when I arrive or before.
I got pulled in for crop diversity, and possible aquaponic development, but quickly became aware of erosion problems typical of deforestation and severe weather patterns.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 2:24 am

Another thought: You could compost in a large drum, sized something like a 1000-gal water tank. In the event of flooding, the tank would float and protect the composting contents.
A simple such tank would be rather unstable when floating, so you would need to have stabilising weights hanging down underneath. The lower contents in the bottom of the tank would become waterlogged and somewhat anaerobic, but anything above the bottom would probably compost very well.
Suitable worms could be introduced, they would do their job of mixing, aerating, and transferring of nutrients throughout the heap.
Try this and other techniques before the time comes for actually needing it.
I am just playing with ideas.... cannot say whether this would work or not, nor whether it's necessary.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 8:08 pm

How deep is the flooding likely to be and how often does it tend to flood. Posters have composted in barrels and on slightly raised bins to be assured of no leachate but these would only protect the compost from shallow flooding.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 4:47 pm

Sir, I have recently returned from the Philippines, was in Pangasinan District, concentrating on applications for growing Azolla. (www.theazollafoundation.org) However, if you would like to give more details of your situation there, I would like to give thought to it and maybe make some suggestions.
Please feel free to discuss it here in the forum, or, if you wish, I can give my email address....but the discussion would, I am sure, interest a lot of other people as well.

Author: Revreid (Revreid)
Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 2:27 pm

Working with several others on a project on a small island in the Philippines. Does anybody have experience composting in a location that can flood? With minimal cost, has anybody created raised compost bins?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.