Humanure for Nomads

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humanure for Nomads
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 5:31 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Great to see your enthusiasm.
Since you are separating, this will make composting of the solids on board your bus much easier.
I would suggest this:
Have a container - bucket or tank - that will fit somewhere under your bus, easily accessible. Add an initial small quantity of moist sawdust. Then add a small handful of compost worms, (e.g. "Tigers"). Regular additions of faeces with a couple of handfuls of sawdust each time. Keep it moist but not wet. Allow good ventilation. This is most unlikely to create nuisance odours. The worms will break it all down gradually and continuously.
From experience you will determine size of container that suits and how to dispose of compost.
I would suggest protecting the container from excess heat which might radiate back from a hot road surface. Maybe insulate somehow with polystyrene.
The compost will not become thermophilic, but the worms will do a great job in breaking it down into humus.
Hope this works for you. Good luck.

Author: Wanderingfootsteps (Wanderingfootsteps)
Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:23 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Lifestyle: On the road full time in a small bus.

Problem: Turning our solids collected inside the composting/dry toilet into humanure.

Hi everyone! Facing a particular problem here and can't find answers anywhere online! We live full-time in a bus, traveling around the world. Have a newly-installed urine diverting dry toilet (to reduce mass and make one 5-gallon bucket last longer!). I REALLY want to turn our solids into humanure, but don't know how. Can I build a small composting system on the roof or chassis of our bus? Is there a network of places around North America (where we'll be for the next two years) where I can drop off my solids and they will be added to a pile of compost?

Any suggestions or resources would be of great help! Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.