No Trash

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: No Trash
Author: Rich (Richard_w)
Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:29 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Seems like I read in Time magazine something about small towns in India that specialized in "recycling" old computers and electronics. The article was drawing attention to the fact that the cancer rates were phenominal due to the carcinogens and heavy metals in the computer parts. Especially destructive (if I remember correctly) was eye cancer from the smoke used in desoldering. The reasons for sending the components to India were economical. I'm not "computer oriented" - not even close. So maybe dissasembly on the order that the Deconstructor is talking about is safe. I don't know, but I thought I would make a safety point nonetheless.

Also, about recycling in general, it is interesting to see the monetary opportunity that is developing from increased awareness in recycling. Which is good. I agree that part of developing products should include what is to be done with it at the end of its useful life. (Burying it for future generations as a monument to our waste not being an option.) It seems that our Gross Domestic Product rate is a measure of how fast we can bury natural resources. Sad, because I feel the responsibility for this insanity lies with our own materialistic measures of success. Our economy needs to shift towards one that uses a true method of accounting (there curently being no debit entry for pollution, social turmoil, etc.) and a very large change in the thinking of most people. One could say the pandemic is spiritual....but that kinda' changes the subject.

Author: John D. Younkin (Deconstructer)
Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:49 pm

On the Subject of recycling/reusing electronic components....
I have been recycling or reusing, I guess you would call it, electronics since my youth. I have been saving old transformers, capacitors, transistors and using the old parts to make new things. Small amplifier projects, radios and the like. Electonics out of the 1970s is mostly solid state and componets can be identified and removed and reused easily.
The cicuit boards can be sanded to a flat sheet and rewired for your new guitar amplifier. Electronics from the 1950s and 1960s are mostly point to point wiring using vacuum tubes. Very very easy to reuse parts. Starting sometime in the 1980s components shrank to the point that they became too difficult to remove and reuse by hand. 1990s to today every thing is surfacemount components and specialized intergrated circuits. Nearly a whole FM radio on one chip. Impossiple to reuse once manfunctioning. About the only things you can get out of a cd walkman are the LED the 1/8 jack and maybe the motor. For the most part the actual electronics of a device is a small portion. The metal parts of a VCR get tossed into the scrap steel bucket, plastic in the plastic bucket, copper in the copper bucket and there isn't much more then that.
RECYCLE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.
compost the rest.

I response to Aaron W and his depression. Don't dispare. The answer is hard work though.
Take a computer montor or desktop station and unscrew everything, unsolider useful parts and disconnect boards and drives. Seperate plastic, steel, copper, glass, and other parts. Recycle what you can. Don't forget about Ebay. Some people still use computer parts for other things. If they are truly worth nothing to you pay the shipping to have someone else use them.

Author: Stephen
Monday, November 05, 2001 - 11:15 pm

I would like to start composting as much trash as I can. Like paper for example, we burn a lot of it. Even though I'm sure it can be composted.
My questions are...
How bid of a bin would I want to build?
And, What is not compostable?
I guess if my bin isn't big enough, I have to build an additional one.
My theory is "If it can not be recycled or composted, don't buy it" That's what I have been trying to tell my wife.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Author: Curtis Folts
Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 4:24 am

I throw old cotton clothing, rags and dryer lint into my compost as well as any paper trash. It may not be wise but even if there's a little nylon, polyester, or plastic that I miss I can weed it out when I'm claiming the compost next year. My bin is made of pallets so it's 4'x4'x4' and so far is working great!

Author: Aaron W
Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 1:32 am

What about computers and electronic waste?
I like the idea of "If it can't be recycled or composted, don't buy it", but to even be posting on this board necessitates me using a computer. It seems to me that computers are one of the most distressing sources of waste .... I have a pile of old obsolete computers that I don't know what to do with. They're not really very useful to anybody to use, some are not even usable, but I can't bear to put them in a landfill so I'm stuck with them until I can figure something out.

It makes me wish that it was law that anybody who manufactures anything must first develop a plan for what is to be done with the stuff after it has lived its useful life. Right now, no one wants to deal with, and for those few of us who don't want to see it just thrown in the landfills, it presents a large, depressing, and energy-sucking problem.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:35 pm

I know there are operations that will strip out almost anyting and reuse/recycle as much as they can. Only problem is I don't know how to get anything to them. I saw something on TV where they were pulling chips and most metals out of old computers and the plastics were ground up. It was a huge operation. I don't know who/where/or how they collect though.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:37 pm

In Wooster, OH I heard they hired a company to collect trash. The residents don't separate the recyclables. The company picks through the garbage and 99% of the recyclables get gecycled there.
I wonder if they compost the compostable garbage there?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.