Compost heat use

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Compost heat use
Author: Sue Savage
Friday, November 30, 2001 - 8:36 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

If humanure handbook compost was in a small building would the building be heated?

Author: Joe
Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 11:43 am

I thought I answered this question already last week. Maybe I forgot to hit "post this message."

The heat of the compost is mostly contained inside the pile. It's unlikely that it would heat a building. I have been standing next to massive compost piles at 170F internal heat and never felt any heat emanating from them.

Author: Stephen
Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 11:50 pm

You did Joe, and now its gone.

Author: joe
Thursday, December 06, 2001 - 12:27 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Yes, I guess I should have checked before I answered a second time. I did go and look and sure enough, the question was there twice and so were my answers. So I deleted one of the sets (that's the advantage of being an administrator to a message board).

Author: Michael
Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 7:23 am

Two possibilities for large scale compost heat use are for heating domestic water and for growing early vegetables.

For the former, see http://www.rdrop.com/users/krishna/greenhse.htm

They built a large, straw bale hoop house over a big compost pile, ran hoses through it, and got hot water for 18 months.

These people are amazing, and doing all sorts of interesting experiments. They also compost humanure.

For the later, I can't remember the site, but I've heard of using a long row of semi-finished compost piles at low temperatures (around 100 degrees) to plant out early tomatoes and others.

Author: Don Stephens
Monday, May 12, 2003 - 3:46 pm

Hi,

We've been "sawdust bucket" composters for a couple of years now. I'm also an eco-home designer (been at it since 1960 - no, that's not a typo in the date) using earth-sheltering, annualized passive solar (A technique I've evolved to very inexpensively heat the house in winter with stored summer solar, in places where winter solar delivery is "unreliable"), use of strawbales, tire-bales, earthbags, etc. in building. And I'm always open to "new" ideas to do the job better/easier/more ecologically. One I'm currently researching is the use of large compost vaults, tapped by water-filled coils, to provide warmth for in-floor radiant heating and recharge. I'm familiar with the "krishna" pages previously cited and the greenhouse heating done in british orangeries using stable waste, and have visited a home in central Washington State which the owner tells me is heated in this way, but would would like to hear from others who have knowlege relevant to this technique, as well. And I will be happy to share what I know on this and related topics...Don Stephens, Eco-Design Consultant and construction innovator (for those wishing to learn more about annualized geo-solar heating, you will find an intro to it posted at www.ecolivingcenter.com/articles/geosolardesign.html ... : )

Author: Aaron W
Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:02 am

Wow! That's amazing! So despite what Joe has been saying, it is possible to use heat from compost!!!

The only concern I can think of is that some of the heat of the thermophilic process is lost, and therefore may not get hot enough.

Author: Aaren
Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:32 pm

Hi, Regarding heat use from a compost pile, as well as methane tapped from the pile for the posibility of generating electricity, cooking, heating, and running a vehicle on, see the following links about frenchman Jean Pain for a start:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_pain.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1980_March_April/The_Genius_of_Jean_Pain

-Aaren , Your book was revolutionary to my thinking and life Joe, Thank you. (sawdust toileting since Jan 2005 and loving every deposit)

Author: Wayne
Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:53 pm

Aaren wrote: "sawdust toileting since Jan 2005 and loving every deposit"

Strange, but that is the way I feel about it, too--except maybe the last use before emptying the bucket! :) Seriously, there is something therapeutic about going so naturally!

All the best,

Wayne Ferguson
http://www.TheFourPrecepts.com/
http://www.TheFourPrecepts.com/waynesworld/humanure.html

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:19 pm

I would guess that a normal single family compost pile would no be enough to heat much.
I have not really looked into the other experiments yet but am assuming they are more than a 5' by 5' by 5' pile producing the heating.
I expect that a more comercial sized composting activity might be able to produce some surplus heat for other purposes but it will also take a little extra energy to manage.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.