Urine fertilizer for grass

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Urine fertilizer for grass
Author: Brad
Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 7:11 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I've noticed that some here, like me, collect their urine separately. Last summer I experimented with fertlizing my grass with non-composted urine after diluting it with water (anywhere from 3 to 1 ratio to 10 to 1 to prevent burning). My St. Augustine lawn that was fertlized with the golden liquid was so conspicuously more healthy I was shocked! Next to the "control" area that wasn't fertilized, but only watered, it was lusher, greener, and grew much taller in the same amount of time.

However, another patch of lawn with a different type of grass (I think it is "zoys za" --spelling?) didn't respond at all. (However, this isn't surprising, as this other type of grass has never responded to any type of fertlizier). Has anyone else tried this?

Since I live in the country, I don't worry too much about any health effects this would have on
others. Unless someone rolled around in the grass within a day after the application -- and unless I was sick when I urinated, the possibility of someone being "contaminated" by it is practically nil.

\image

Author: Herb
Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 7:23 pm

I urinate out my back door all winter. The next summer there'll be a small patch of dead grass where the yellow jet lands, and next to that the grass grows lush and very long.

A good place to plant spinach?

Author: Brad
Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 9:17 am

"A good place to plant spinach?"

Hmmm. I never have grown spinach, but it sounds like a promising idea.

Originally I assumed that urine was too high in salt to be of any value to plants. In fact, because of the initial dead spot the pure, undiulted stuff has, I assumed that it might instead be better to kill unwanted grass.

farmer

Author: arjuna
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 4:25 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It will kill an area if you keep urinating in one spot. that is why I rarely use the same spot twice within a few weeks time.

Author: m
Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:51 am

Spreading urin full strength on grass will give amazing results, but as aruna says putting it on the same spot all the time will put too much nitrogen, the same thing as putting too much fertilizer, it will burn the grass. Sometimes the results of spreading urin on grass will not be seen until the following year when lush grass appears. This practise also seems to prevent winter kill even on exposed grass in the winter at sub zero temperatures. The grass also holds up better to walking traffic. If the grass is very weedy it may take a year or two for exceptional results to happen so be patient.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.