Portable potties for kids

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Portable potties for kids
Author: Kash
Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 10:39 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Of course it's obvious that you can put a sawdust toilet anywhere and there's mention of bringing one to festivals in the Handbook, but I was picturing a five gallon bucket and sometimes it takes an emergency to really get me thinking.

I work in a place with no bathroom so I usually buy a 12oz. Coke (never apple juice!)in the way in, drink it and fill it back up during my shift.

Yesterday I had to bring my 3 year old daughter with me. She can't pee in a bottle, so I grabbed a wide flat tupperware sandwich container and filled it with sawdust. It worked so well that I'm going to start bringing it with us anytime we go to the park or anywhere else likely not to have a bathroom. For privacy I'll just wrap a blanket around her while she squats.

This is going to entirely change family trips. No more nasty, smelly portapotties. No more frantic searches while she holds it or leaving early because there's no place to pee.

If I put a piece of newspaper in it before filling, I can even fold the sawdust into it so the lid doesn't get messy bouncing around in my pocket after the first use.

All this and it still fits in a package the size of a sandwich.

Author: annie McUmber-House
Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 10:59 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

LOL!! You must eat a lot less than I do... but it sounds workable. I think I'll stick with a larger receptacle though, with three kids... The wooden box and the bucket fit right in the back end of the van.

Author: jo-jo
Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:56 pm

Do you mean to say that you collect the waste of your children when you are on the road so you can bring it home?

I may be naive, but doesn't that make your van stink, especially on hot, multiday summer road trips?

I'm not even sure if that is healthy.

Author: Anonymous
Monday, September 15, 2003 - 6:16 pm

Some people don't make multi-day trips,,but of
course,it would probably be better to fertilize
some trees along the road than carry too much at
one time...I always have a pee jug instead of
wasting water in a public bathroom,and gift it to
a nice rhodadendron or stout redwood,and i always
try to fertilize the bushes and trees on a road
trip rather that WASTING it by polluting precious
water resources..

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:51 am

Why would it stink? It's contained inside a tupperware container. Plus it sounds like it's only urine. Why would that be unhealthy? It's no different than taking a crap in a plastic bucket.

Seems to me like a pretty good solution to me.

Author: Lynn, Mama to Many
Friday, October 07, 2005 - 7:16 pm

This is a GREAT idea. I drive around with a traditional potty in the back of my van for the toddler (we have had a toddler for 15 years now, 6 kids total), but it's really too small for the older kiddo's to use. What a pain to have to drive around trying to find a place for the older ones to go, or as someone else mentioned, having to leave early. I am going to make a 1-2 gal size this weekend and that will solve all our problems. And no more complaints about the yucky bathrooms (chemical potapotties). I am a new convert so am new to this all. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:42 pm

Why would it smell any worse or be less health in a van? Just don't skimp on the cover material. I suppose if the van is going to be sealed up in the hot sun for half a day it could cook things a bit so you might want a good lid or leave the back windows open a bit to vent.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.