High Altitude Composting

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: High Altitude Composting
Author: milobender
Friday, April 20, 2001 - 1:43 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with composting at 8000'? I'm just building our toilet, have enough sawdust for several months, and looking for high altitude feedback.

Thanks,

Milo

Author: SECMOL Becky
Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 1:45 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi,
We use composting toilets similar to the Humanure method, at 11,500 feet in Ladakh in the Himalayas. I don't think there are any special issues due to altitude. The issues are the temperatures around the year, and the precipitation and humidity. We have a good cold winter and extreme dry climate. Ours composts fine.

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:08 pm

We're at almot 9,000 ft in Colorado, USA and we've been dumping into a pile for about four months. I'd say the average temp up here has been about 20 degrees F. After two days of 40 degree weather we were able to turn our pile and see that under neath there is work being done. Stuff has been breaking down.

Author: Anonymous
Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:57 am

I would like to have any information available on building public latrines on altitude (3800m), cold and dry weather etc. and still be able to composte.

Are there ways to add some bugs that will quicken the process during summer time for example?

Is anybody able to send some designs?

Author: TCLynx
Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:45 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'd say, just make sure to add all the urine to help keep it moist. When you ask about public latrines, what kind of situation are you talking about? Will there be someone there to manage the compost? How will the public be instructed in the use of the cover material and such? Will there be any other compostable materials to be added? Like food/kitchen scraps?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.