Cat pooping in vegetable garden beds

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Cat pooping in vegetable garden beds
Author: sunny day (Myra516)
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 2:37 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm wondering what you pet lovers like me out there think. It seems that there are people who don't think we should even have pets. There's this one site where there are debates by experts on various subjects. There is one debate called: “Should We Keep Pets?”. I like the idea that these people are experts in their fields, but one of their expert debaters wants to abolish the institution of pet ownership. Take a look! I’d be interested to get your take on this as I'd like to respond and would love to get input from you guys before replying to him there. http://www.opposingviews..../questions/should-we-keep-pets
So - let me know what you think about what this Professor guy has to say. Thanks so much.

Author: sunny day (Myra516)
Monday, September 08, 2008 - 6:57 pm

I just found this site and am so happy with all of the wonderful information I have found here. I certainly will be checking back regularly and hope to add some useful information of my own when I can.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:27 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Kev Man wrote: "Thats also the reason pregnent women are not to handle cat boxes. The pathogens can be inhaled then intoduced into the fetus, causing bad things."

To clarify, the pathogen of concern in cat feces for pregnant women is Toxoplasmosis. This disease is usually asymptomatic in adults and children, but can cause severe birth defects and death to the unborn. It only occurs in 5 out of 1000 pregnancies, but it is totally preventable if expectant mothers who have cats take precautions. They can even empty the litter box if they use gloves and a mask. If the expectant mother is immune to the disease (i.e. she contracted it earlier) her unborn is safe. A serology test can determine the mother's immunity.

You don't want fresh dog or cat poop in your garden any more than you want fresh human poop in it. But if it is composted and aged, it is fine.

Author: Olga Lobban (Olobban)
Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:08 am

I stop at Starbucks whenever I can and they happily give me a big bag of used coffee grounds. I spread the grounds about 1/2 inch thick around my veggetable plants, so my 6 cats won't dig and poop there. It also makes your garden beds look and smell great.

Author: Rangdrol
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:45 am

Greetings Gillian Brightwater.
Probably should have said grains. Most pet food is grain based. They add animal bits and of course a tonne of flavor for cats and colours etc but it is mostly corn, oat, barley, soy etc etc. We call them cereals out here.

Author: Gillian Brightwater
Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:20 pm

Rangdrol: what do you mean "cereals" Gillian

Author: admin
Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:30 am

Have you tried a "keyword search" (under "Utilities" at left) to see what has already been discussed on this topic?

Author: Kev Man
Friday, June 24, 2005 - 3:38 pm

I have several garden areas on a 1 acre propery and 5 cats. Cats like to use soft earth such as sand or tilled garden beds as their toilet so they can cover their droppings easier. I would recommend setting up a small sand box near the garden. Keep it about 3"-6" deep. Dont scoop out the waste, just add a bit more sand every month, or when the level gets too low. Do not use kitty litter because they are clay based and water soluble.

If you are so inclined, scoop some of the scat into the sandbox so the cats get the idea that that is where the doo doo belongs.

As with all carnivore waste, bad pathogens are present. I would not reccomend letting the material break down in edible plant areas. Thats also the reason pregnent women are not to handle cat boxes. The pathogens can be inhaled then intoduced into the fetus, causing bad things.

If this doesnt work, try saying things like bad kitty! You do it again, we are going to Thailand...

Author: SharonJ
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:36 am

I had the same problem with my cat using my raised bed vegetable garden as a litter box. This year, I covered the surface of the raised beds with chicken wire. It worked. I like the idea of putting a litter box of sand out there for her to use.

Author: catbox
Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:11 pm

My garden is small. When I clip a bush I save pieces of branches about the size of a pencil. Stick lots of these into the ground near the plant to make it hard for the cat to squat. This works very well for my dwarf fruit trees in half barrels of soft expensive potting soil.

Cut old window screen to fit around the plant, then put a layer of rocks or pebbles or shards or whatever on top of the screen around your plant. The pebbles will keep the cat from reaching the earth, and the screen will keep the pebbles from mixing into the earth and getting lost.

My cats kill the gophers. We have millions and millions and millions of gophers. Without the cats, I would not be able to grow my veggies. Also I would be extreemly lonely.

I always leave a corner somewhere of soft dirt for the cats to use as a bathroom. Every three months I make a new soft corner of bare dirt, and scatter clover seed over the old soft corner. I put old cardboard boxes over the old soft corner until the clover seed germinates.

During the rainy season I put a folding card table with an old shower curtain draped over it to try and keep the designated soft corner dry enough for the cats. Rocks or bricks will keep the shower curtain or whatever from blowing away. You have to anchor the shower curtain to the ground.

Once I got locked out of my house and had to wait for the landlord to drive over and let me in. I had to empty my bladder, so I went behind a bush by the fence. A few months later I was pulling the weeds by the fence, and when I got to the spot where I peed, I found a careful little pile of un-buried cat poops there. The cats will go where mommy goes.

All my cats are spayed/neutered, rabies vaccinated and treated with homeopathic nosodes. I keep them inside at night. I use the recycled newspaer kitty litter, and I think it is great.

Good luck!

Author: Eli
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:19 am

Try orange peels, cut into pieces. It works for me.

Author: Gillian Brightwater
Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:57 pm

Can carnivore dog/cat poop go into the humanure compost bin? If so, does it take longer to break down? I read your book awhile back, but can't remember your experiences on this..I volunteer at a farm animal/dog/cat sanctuary and soon we will have too much poop in holes in the ground, moldy and toxic. If we start animal manure composting successfully, we can influence other animal rescues to follow suit. WE NEED HELP!
Thanks!, Gillian in WA.

Author: Rangdrol
Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:38 pm

Yes you can, we have and it works great. It is mostly cereals.
It is also an excellent way to dispose of thier bed litter.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.