Organic farming and humanure

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Organic farming and humanure
Author: Anonymous
Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 3:07 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

we are starting an organic farm. is it legal by usda standards to use humanure in your compost, and be able to be certified organic?
what about biodynamic? would the demeter certification process allow for humanure?

Author: Bev Jones
Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:09 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've been waiting since August to see what the answers to these two questions are, too!

Author: admin
Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:17 am

Apparently, no one has the answers, although there is nothing about humanure that is not "organic."

Author: Leo Glenn
Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:24 pm

I can't answer the organic certification question, but I do know that Rudolf Steiner was opposed to using human manure in compost (or for any other purpose). So I doubt that you could get humanure compost certified with the demeter process.

Author: Leo Glenn
Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:24 pm

I did a little research on the Web and came up with this link:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/NOP/standards/ListReg.html
This is the National List produced by the USDA on Allowed and Prohibited Substances in organic food production. It does not appear to include humanure as a prohibted substance. Also, the USDA's National Organic Program has regulations and guidelines for composting and composting facilites which also do not appear to address humanure (here's the link:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/NOP/standards/ProdHandPre.html)

There are regulations about the application of raw manure, and regulations involving minimum sustained temperature requirements for compost to ensure pathogen destruction.

So, although I don't think I would advise putting "Made with Human Manure!" on my brochures or product labels, it does appear that it is not specifically prohibited.

Hope that helps.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.