Large straw bales for composting bunkers

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Large straw bales for composting bunkers
Author: Menno Houtstra (Rebelfarmer)
Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:40 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

wood chips can be composted if they are shaved instead of broken, see Jean Pain method. also they need to be smaller than 8mm

Author: Jim Etzel
Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:51 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I am starting a new business that will encompass composting, bee keepiing, and gardening. I plan on using large( 3ftx 3ftx 8ft) long straw bales for my composting bunkers. I plan on using fish guts for a nitrogen source and wood chips for a carbon source. Once the straw bales are rottted beyond use, they will be reclaimed into the compost pile for humus production. Any comments or concerns?

Author: admin
Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 1:28 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Wood chips are hard to compost. In fact, they don't really compost, but are used as a bulking agent in large compost operations and screened out from the finished compost and then reused. You will find that sawdust from logs composts much better.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.