Using junk mail in composter

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Using junk mail in composter
Author: jB (Jimb)
Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:17 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

c/o of a query to Xerox: "the paper will break down but the tonar will not." That means laser printers and photocopiers. I've must of looked at dozens of MSDS sheets for black tonars and they all report that tonar is non toxic but tonar is essentially plastic. I use shredded office paper, photocopiers and laser printers, through out my bio-remediation bins.

I believe most, if not all, American newspaper use soy ink. I understand there are compelling economic reasons to do this so I don't worry about newspaper in my compost. Newspaper inserts however, are often printed overseas and I avoid any color inserts.

From what I've seen, our bills seem to be laser printer stuff. I would expect some junk mail to be printed overseas and just assume avoid that stuff. I like the security built into composting bills.

two cents _ _ jB

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:35 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My understanding is that newspaper ink in north America are soy based, color and black. We have also shredded many other paper products and used them as bedding for a worm farm. The worms seem to be doing well which I suspect would not be the case if there were anything too toxic in their bedding. Worms are rather sensitive. However, I don't know for certain what is in the inks.

Author: Leslie Moreau (Lessismore)
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:59 pm

I wonder about this too.
I want to use a lot of newspaper, though I can see that the inks might pose a problem.

Any more ideas on this?

Author: Anonymous
Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:50 pm

is it safe to put shredded newspaper and junk mail into the composter? We called our newspaper office and discovered that all the color-printed materials use a soy-based ink, although the regular "black and white" newspaper is printed with a petro-based ink. Will these safely degrade in the composter over the span of a couple years?

Author: admin
Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:54 am

Why don't you just receyle the paper rather than compost it? Then you won't have to worry about the inks.

Author: TCLynx
Monday, February 27, 2006 - 11:41 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

we have been using junk mail in our composting system. There is no recycling collection where I live so I figure it is better than throwing in the dumpster. We don't plan to use the current compost for producing food crops though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.