Has anyone run into legal trouble?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Has anyone run into legal trouble?
Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, August 01, 2014 - 8:48 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

This thread talks about a by law in Pa. I found a copy posted in another thread and thought for completeness it should be here as well.

Here it is

Dear Property Owner:

In December 2001, Lower Windsor Township adopted an OLDS, (On-lot sewage disposal system), Ordinance No. 2001-02, as part of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protections approval of the Act 537 plan. This ordinance, establishing the OLDS program, became effective January 1, 2002. The following is a summary of each property owner’s responsibilities under the Ordinance:

1. Property owners must pump their on-lot sewage disposal system once every four years based on the following
schedule:

A. Properties located in Lower Windsor Township District #1: Calendar year 2002 District #1 shall consist of all properties east of Cool Creek and Cabin Creek Roads and north of East Prospect and Calvary Church Roads.

B. Properties located in Lower Windsor Township District #2: Calendar year 2003 District #2 shall consist of all properties south of East Prospect and Calvary Church Roads and east of Prayer Mission and Snyder Corner Roads.

C. Properties located in Lower Windsor Township District #3: Calendar year 2004 District #3 shall consist of all properties west of Prayer Mission and Snyder Corner Roads and south of East Prospect Road.

D. Properties located in Lower Windsor Township District #4: Calendar year 2005 District #4 shall consist of all properties north of East Prospect Road and west of Cabin Creek and Cool Creek Roads.

2. After the above schedule is completed, the schedule rotation will start over again.

3. If you pumped your system within 1 year of your notification, and can submit a copy of your receipt to the
Township, you will be considered to be in compliance with the ordinance. The new date that your system
must be pumped will be in the next four-year cycle.

4. Enclosed is a list of septage pumpers licensed to operate within Lower Windsor Township. When you
arrange to have your system pumped, you should contact one of these companies. Licensed pumpers are
responsible for providing both property owners and the Township with a detailed report of each system they
pump. Pumpers licensed by the Township must provide the location where they dispose of septage, and
abide by all state and local regulations.

If you have questions regarding the OLDS program, we suggest that you review the enclosed materials first; especially the sheet entitled “Answers to your Questions”. If after reading all the materials you have any questions, please call the township office at 244-6813. Your cooperation in establishing the OLDS program is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Board of Supervisors
Lower Windsor Township

Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, August 01, 2014 - 8:41 am

The following is a copy of an email response from Stephen after I asked for an update on his problem in PA. Thank you Stephen for your prompt response and allowing the update to be posted.

Hello Wyatt,
I haven't been on the board in many years and after 10 years of composting successfully thanks to Joe and his book I did eventually break down a get a septic.
I live in York Pa which is fairly rural in my area. I approached my township and explained to them that I did not have a septic tank and that I composted. I do have a drain field for grey water. I did not go into any further detail of the operation.
They approved it under an "Alternative" system which got me out of the tank pumping requirement which was every 4 Years. It was much easier than I feared. They were happy that other systems were available and later, in a news letter, actually promoted any ideas to alternative systems.
I hope your township is as willing as mine.
Good luck
Stephen

You may post this if you would like.

Author: Paul Cooley
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 11:28 pm

I'm thinking about putting together a sawdust toilet for our house. According to the new New Mexico codes, composting toilets are allowed, but they have to meet some code or other, and they cannot be used on lots under three quarters of an acre.
Our lot is smaller than that, and I don't think a sawdust toilet is what they have in mind in their wording.

I assume that I would never be caught, unless my children went to school, told the teacher they pooped in a bucket at home, and the teacher thought we were doing something just this side of child abuse and neglect.

Has anyone actually been called on the carpet by their local government? I assume that they would just tell me to stop composting humanure if that happened.

Author: Sinfante
Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 7:45 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I live in NM and use one. We homeschool our kids so that is not an issue. We have less than 3/4 acre and never asked, I am following the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in regards to officials, not that I have ever encountered any (officials that is). We live in a semi-rural area where most lots are 1 acre. M neighbors have seen me emptying stuff into my compost. I used to be afraid they would be upset, but I have come to realize that never in their wildest dreams would they even think that is what I am actually doing. I do share my activities with friends, I don't try to "hide" it. There are times when I feel a little discretion is better though.

Author: beachgirl
Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 9:33 pm

Well, as Joe has been repeating to newcomers, sawdust toilets are not composting toilets, so the rules for them don't apply. All we do with the bucket is to collect our poop and add it to our compost heap along with other organic "waste". It's strictly recycling.

Author: Stephen
Monday, October 31, 2005 - 9:29 am

This is a letter I sent to Joe, but was suggested to post it on the board.
Dear Joe,My township has passed a new requirement stating that my septic tank must be pumped out every year. Mine must be pumped by Dec.31 by one of their licensed pumpers and I will need to submit a copy of the reciept to the township.
I have no septic tank. I have had the sawdust toilet sinse we moved onto this land. About seven years now.

Have you had this call of help/advice before?
BTW its called the Lower Windsor Township On-Lot Sewage Disposal Ordinance #2001-02

Author: admin
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:01 pm

I have not heard of this, however, what does the law state, exactly? Does it state that if you have a septic tank, it must be pumped out every year? Then if you don't have one, the law does not apply to you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.