Oregon sawmills for sawdust?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Oregon sawmills for sawdust?
Author: Derek
Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 10:12 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Always seems to happen when I need something. Some burecratic reason it's unavailable. So here I am, in Astoria, Oregon, surrounded by thousands of acres of lumber country, and a sawmill just a mile away, and I CAN'T GET ANY SAWDUST. Yes, the mill has a massive amount of it. But every last ounce of it is "reserved" for transport (by diesel truck....ERRRRR) several hundred miles away for who knows what, and I can't touch any of it.

Anyone in Portland get sawdust? I go there once a month and could perhaps pick up my sawdust then.

Author: Sinfante
Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:48 am

You can use mulched or shredded leaves too. That is all that I use.

Author: Derek
Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 6:16 pm

I bought some "white shavings" at my local feed and pet store. 4 cu/ft expands to 10 cu/ft for $6.75. Temporary measure (until I can find a free source at a sawmill). That's ~82 gallons of shavings, enough for 20 bucket fills (emptying at ~80% full), so that's pretty good for now.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:58 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Many sawmills are making a profit on their sawdust being compressed into pellets for pellet stoves. It isn't free but probably as cheep as the pet bedding (likely more effective too) the pellets expand back into sawdust at the first hint of moisture.

Author: John Heckham
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:51 pm

Where can one find a list of sawmills in a particular area?

Author: Joe Jenkins
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:36 am

Try looking in the phone book under "lumber, wholesale."

Author: Dan Pahl
Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:51 pm

Does anyone know if there is a listing showing names and addresses of all the mills in the Pacific Northwest and in particular Oregon. Or is there a publication that most mills receive.

Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:43 pm

I did an internet search for my area in Central FL and came accross a few listings for small saw mills. I actually called one guy who runs a business collecting dead, fallen, or storm damaged trees that would have otherwise been burned or sent to landfills. He rescues them, cuts them up on his small mill, dries them and sells the boards. He usually spreads the sawdust around his property or lets neighbors with horses take it. I stopped out to his place and he let me shovel up a bunch for free. This of course is a small opperation so he is unlikely to sell the sawdust for pellets or anything like that. He was happy to give the sawdust away for use instead of wasting it.

Author: Rangdrol
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 1:57 pm

Sawdust is on its way out.

Why not get ahead of the game and start shredding junk mail or waste packaging or something like that? We know a lady in town that has a little yard shredder that could make a huge pile into tiny shreds for just a few cents. There must be a lot of junk mail in a big place like Astoria. You could start a trend!

Has anyone here tried shredded paper products?

Author: James
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 5:37 pm

My wife and I have done just as you suggested. Shredding junk mail.

We go through and remove the little envelopes that have the stupid plastic windows and shred the non-glossy paper. (We recycle the glossy paper)

I even went so far as to shred cereal boxes, and paper towel tubes for cover, but they don't absorb the smell very well.

Sometimes I even shred some newspaper (our city sends them to us free sometimes.)

We do use sawdust to cover the solid deposits, and the shredded paper to cover the urine. This works fine, and makes our sawdust last much longer.

Oh, and our paper shredder is just a cheap Office-Depot model.

The compost pile loves whatever we feed it!

Cheers,

James

Author: Rangdrol
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 5:44 pm

Kewl James!
My SO says those little platic windows are not all platic. Some are a plant product as well.
Would you please consider doing a test on a few?

Not that I don't belive the O'l SO mind you ;)

Thanks James.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:05 am

We do use junk mail and other paper/cardboard products. The only issue is that the ink may not be so good for use in compost that will be used in food gardens. We are using it anyway as we currently are not growing any food plants. Our shredder is just the medium duty Staples model. We got tons of shredded paper from the old phone books when the new ones came.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.