GREYWATER SYSTEM

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: GREYWATER SYSTEM
Author: Rangdrol
Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:17 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Greetings Scott Hall.
Efficient is not really what you will want. Washing machines can blow out your efficiant size in two loads.
The size is a guesstimate based on a range of factors. There is no hard and fast rule except where mandated by codes.
In our experience with our grey water - we use VERY little water - 45 would be way too big. If we had some guests and a good freeze on and decided to wash the house out we would probably want more than 45.

When we first started to design our system we used a bath tub to settle our grey water and measure how much we were wasting. We recomend this type of experiment. It shows you what you really do, not what you imagine you do. It really helps you conserve. Anyway what we learned is that a single full bathtub of grey water was being wasted every single day on average with three of us. So giving a tank 24 hours to settle you would want- tub gallons times two- as the minimum tank size and 8 for weekend visitors from town.

You need not do as complete a job of it. 45 is just about a perfect garbage can number so collect your water in a couple garbage cans for a week or three and see for yourself. You will hardly ever create more than a can full at a time. It will be harder to examine the particulates and understand your goo depth but it will get you close enough.

One lesson we learned about tanks is shallow is better. The very best is under three feet in depth. Also when you examine the price per gallon of tanks concrete is better - here at least - and making your own is better still. Combined these two present you with a great solution as you can shape the floor to facilitate settling and cleaning and keep them under three feet high.

Also if you are going to be cleaning out the tank yourself you might consider the way you will do so. Most poly tanks wont be happy with flat metal tools and concrete tanks are very hard to clean with anything when you are old and tired.

We have "gone tankless" for now.

Author: Scott Hall
Monday, June 19, 2006 - 3:48 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I am building our house this summer and will be using an indoor sawdust toilet. I am working on a design for our greywater system. What I am thinkink about is a settling tank for the greywater and then going out to infiltrators (like a leachfield). I like this design but have a question about the settling tank. I have seen (on thenaturalhome.com) a settling basin on 45 gallons with a filter on the side that would go out to the infiltrators. I am worried that this would not be enough time for the suspended particles to settle at bottom and top. Would a 750 gallon septic tank work more efficiently? I CAN see that maybe the 45 gallon basin with out-filter may be just fine in that it would be easier to just scoop out the accumulated sludge every once in a while and deposit this to the compost pile. I wouldn't want to spend the extra time and money installing a large tank if it was uneccessary. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks...Scott

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.