Weekend use

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Weekend use
Author: Wayne
Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:05 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I'm not sure what the bio-chemical effect is, but practically speaking, it doesn't hurt to just leave the bucket in the toilet-- with plenty of cover material, of course --and continue to add to the bucket the following weekend. I fill approximately 1 bucket per week, but only empty them about once in three weeks. When a bucket is full, I snapp a lid on it until the third one is ready to empty.

Again, that may not make for the best thermofilic activity and what-not, but it works for me from as far as the household routine goes.

Author: James K
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:26 am

I would suggest going ahead and emptying the pail as the last chore you do before you leave for the week. That way, it won't go anaerobic on you during the time you are away. It would begin to stink up the whole house if it builds up some pressure while you are gone.

Safer just to add it to the compost pile.

Cheers,

James K

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:49 am

We have a piece of property that we have built a small cabin on and go there on weekends etc. We are getting ready to build our system.

With just the two of us we wouldn't fill a pail in just a weekend. What do I do with the partially filled pail?

Can I put the lid on while we are gone and continue to use the same pail the next time we are there? Should I put the contents in the compost pile even though it's not full?
In the summer we are going to be up there quite a bit, but in the winter we usually only manage to get up there one weekend a month.
Thanks.
JR

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.