Camp composter

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Camp composter
Author: Mary Steigerwald (Edgehabitat)
Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:16 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thanks, Joe. That's good news, because you didn't remove it because you decided it wasn't a good idea. I think it's a brilliant idea!

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:55 am

The camp composter is not in the third edition of the Humanure Handbook. I removed it due to a lack of an actual photograph (there was only a crude drawing).

Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:02 am

I looked im my newer copy of Humanure Handbook, and I can't find a reference to a "camp composter" anywhere. It was in my old copy. I a m wondering why it is no longer in the book, or am I missing it?

Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 6:33 pm

Dear Friends,

I am the caretaker of some land which has just been purchased for a Buddhist retreat center. My family and I have been using what is probably the worlds largest camp composter for about 5 years now. The new owners are intereted in composting toilets. I believe that there's no need to buy them, when we can build outdoor camp composters ourselves. All we did was build a wooden bin with two sides,large enough to hold enough poop for at least a year. (Ours holds about 5 years worth! But that's another story.) Then we built a little room above the bins, with a seat over all.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this method? Does anyone have a similar set-up?

Thanks for your help!

Peace, Mary

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.