Greywater ==> Potable Water

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Greywater ==> Potable Water
Author: Runningbear (Runningbear)
Monday, November 01, 2010 - 11:42 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Just Google "Solar water still". They can make pure, safe drinking water from Salty ocean water, brackish pond and river water and even pure urine. Why not grey water? Hundreds of designs available. The still just adds to your GREEN process.

(Message edited by runningbear on November 01, 2010)

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:59 pm

I think the barrel system for graywater should work fine and could be situated in a basement. The solids that settle out could be removed with a valve into a bucket and added to a compost pile.

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:00 pm

I have been using a small grey water bio-filter on top of, and in contact with, a slow sand filter, for over a year now. This keeps back all the solid particles of kitchen and bathroom origin (NOT toilet output) and maintains an aerobic, odourless environment. Compost worms have been added to the bio-filter and they are flourishing. The upper part of the sand filter is semi-aerobic, and the lower part is kept anaerobic. The resultant discharged water from the filter is excellent. If anyone would like to see my basic set-up, please have a look on my website, www.ecointerest.8k.com and go to the "What's New" page. Avoid opening the pop-up adds.
Please note the system is designed only primarily for my own use, and no scientific data is available. Also, if it was to be upgraded for use by more than one or two people, one would need to study load-capacity, retention time, laboratory tests of effluent, etc.
Happy to discuss this with anyone who is interested, and give further details if required.

Author: Dan Sullivan (Danl)
Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:39 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hope you have better luck with this than I did.
I have re-read Humanure Handbook (1000 times) and found references to creating small contained wetlands from wading pools.
Cattail and other water plants are biofilters as are the water creatures that feed on them.

Why not drain greywater piped into a trap to first remove fibers and solids. From there into perforated PVC piping buried in gravel. Bio-mass would include fresh water mussels and filter feeders along with creatures to build a self contained food chain. It would need to be maintained by removing whatever grows too fast or too much. Compost or chicken feed for plants.
Fish would be destined for the fillet knife.
Or am I just nuts ?

Author: Tina Little (Tinad773)
Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:14 pm

I am interested in the answer to this question also! We are looking for a way to make greywater into potable water, not for drinking, but for reuse in sinks, showers, etc...not the toilet (humanure!) :-) Does anyone have an answer to this question. If so, please advise!

Thank you!

Author: Dan Sullivan (Danl)
Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:42 pm

I'm still very much in the "what if" stage, but was wondering how a grey water system could be made out of a couple of wading pools?
Water hiacinth, cattail, tilapia, catfish.
Grey water would be from one person conserving water and using bio-friendly laundry and bath soaps.
One problem is less than three months more or less frost free.
I have been looking at a few sites, but nothing seems geared toward very small scale.
I hope this isn't too lame to inquire about.
Thanks.

Author: james (James2007)
Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:32 am

I'm not sure of the scale-up, but there are UV sterilizers that are supposed to kill everything off, I see it for aquariums, don't know whether it meets potable standards. These units come in various sizes and run in-line, may be suitable price point for private supply. Maybe I'm offbase

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:09 am

You can do a search for onsite wastewater treatment or graywater treatment but most of the systems that can do such things are pretty $$ and high tech. The lower tech methods might be to use some method to filter it (sand, wetland) and then down have some method to purify it before use but that would probably include some energy expenditure to distill or ozonate it.

I'm used to city water being clorine treated, mostly because large storage tanks are hard to keep clean enough to not have to clorine treat. But Clorine treated well water??? I've only heard of that if your well is contaminated by bacteria.

I'm curious, does anyone have any idea how much nitrates would leach out of compost if the compost was being used to filter water? I know one of the biggest water pollution problems is run of of nitrates from chemical firtilizers in big Agriculture. The nitrate concentraition in the water supplies getting big enough to be dangerous to newborns (can't give the baby a bath in the tap water.) I know that using compost to nourish the plants would reduce the runnoff problem but if using the compost as a filter for water it would seem that leaching would certainly occurr. In which case I would worry that you might want to feed the water to plants that could remove the nitrates before using it yourself. In a way I guess that is what aquaponics is all about but they usually use fish waste water to feed the plants and the plants clean up the water for the fish. You would still need some way to kill any bacteria and such in the water before drinking.

Author: H. Barton (Aaytch)
Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 7:20 am

Would it make sense to "filter" greywater through a compost pile? Maybe even run the kitchen sink effluent (with garbage disposal) onto the pile. It should clean up the grey water, and of course feed the pile. A "wetland" system can be made to filter and purify contaminated water, so it seems to me that using an active compost pile could, theoretically, achieve similar results.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:07 pm

http://www.oasisdesign.net/

Author: Anonymous Coward (Compostofopportunity)
Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 4:21 pm

Hi,

Can anyone send me links to systems that take greywater and convert it back into potable water?

Using greywater for crops/food/greenhouses/wetparks, etc is great, but it seems to me that there should be a way of naturally purifying water to the point that it's safe and suitable for drinking. This would avoid the need to use chlorine treated city/well water for drinking.

All thoughts welcome.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.