Ideas on Baby Poop

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Ideas on Baby Poop
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:05 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We used cloth diapers only and scraped the baby poop off them into the compost toilet using toilet paper before throwing the diaper into a diaper pail to soak. We did this through a number of kids and it worked fine. We never used a disposable diaper.

Author: Rich (Richard_w)
Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:05 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm looking for ideas on composting baby poop. We currently compost everything else and have been doing so successfully for some time. Our infant son lets us know when he has to go because we tried elimination communication with outstanding success since he was born, so alot of his poo misses the diaper and goes right into the bucket. But there are times, like when traveling or at night, that the diaper still gets filled, mostly with urine. While I can think of a few ways to get the contents from the diaper to the compost, it would be great to hear from someone who has experience and can share a tip on what works best. This would help alot and it would save us alot of time figuring things out. Once in the diaper it is either absorbed by the sodium polyacrylate when using disposables or in the material when using cloth. The new flushable/compostable inserts (from g diaper) are essentially the same thing as disposables only without the plastic. Does anyone know much about this sodium polyacrylate? I guess it's the same stuff you can buy for potting soil mixes to hold more water. I've read that it is non-toxic but it basically is a salt when broken down. Too much of this a bad thing? At any rate, any ideas are welcome.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.