Moving the aging pile back to the garden

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Moving the aging pile back to the garden
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:16 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm not the expert but I have moved bins of compost to place in another location to age. You want to be careful about what equipment you use to transport the compost. Like wash the barrow out before harvesting potatos with it.

I'm not into turning compost but I have found that mixing once after the pile has rested a while (not hot anymore and nothing really smelly left) can help get a more even mix of the contents. You don't really want to turn a really hot pile or one with new smelly additions or you risk the stinky stuff getting on the outside layer and attracting pests.

Author: Palmtreepathos (Palmtreepathos)
Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I am running out of room in my small city yard! I have 2 resting piles and one active pet pile. I am at a quandary as I start this years pile. Can I move the resting pile that I finished adding to in June, to the lowest part of my garden? All the garden beds are raised and any leachate(I have have never seen ANY) would head down the hill toward the woods and this would leave the space where I put last years pile free. This is a great spot at the yard's perimeter yet accessible from all sides. Since I would not be carrying any active manure buckets to the garden do you think this sounds safe enough? Also, I would like to layer in a some excess greens that are accumulating in the yard. Thx

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.