Winter home in the desert

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Winter home in the desert
Author: jB (Jimb)
Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:02 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I live in a dry climate in CA. I have not neglected a bin for an entire summer but have neglected a bin for a month or so.

I would expect your bin to stop digesting utterly without water. I would further expect it to slowly start up again once you began watering again.

Sheltering things from the sun and the wind will be helpful but will only mitigate the absence of water.

I would expect critter issues from leaving things unattended for so long. Building on pavers will protect from burrowing critters while still getting the benefits of building on the bare ground like drainage for excess water and worms. I'll leave it to others to tackle the issue of above ground critters.

two cents _ _ jB

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

A cardboard box would soon fall apart if used as a compost container.

Author: paul smaith (Creosote_composter)
Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:19 pm

i saw in another thread joe mentioned using cardboard above ground in the desert. can you compost in a big cardboard box? sounds kinda trashy, but the price is right.. would the box itself compost?

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, August 27, 2007 - 8:34 am

I've heard of people digging a pit for the compost pile in really dry places.

Perhaps extreme summer will kill the pile but once you start adding to it again the process will probably start up again so long as you are there long enough each season to dump several buckets.

You might need to bring a fair amount of cover material with you.

Author: paul smaith (Creosote_composter)
Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:43 pm

oy. i have a 10 acre piece of land east of el paso, tx. i go there during the cooler months. october to february. this year i'm planning on using a sawdust toilet, and starting my first compost heap. i have two questions. what kind of modifications should i make to my compost bin to account for the extremely dry, windy environment? what happens when i'm not there .. will the pile start up again when i start using it again the following winter or will the extreme summer kill the pile?

thanks in advance,
creosote composter.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.