How often bucket needs replaced

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How often bucket needs replaced
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:12 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We put kitchen scraps and any paper products that would otherwise go into the trash into our buckets. There are two of us and when we are both home all day we probably fill a bucket every two days between us. We probably use more cover material than we have to but alot of it is shredded paper junk mail.
How often a bucket is filled or how many are needed per week will depend on the people, the cover material, how much you are there to use it, and what else goes into the buckets (like kitchen scraps etc.) Some cover materials (like sawdust) are more efficient than others and therefore don't fill the buckets as fast. I have 6 buckets I use for humanure. That way there can be 4 to go out and be dumped in the pile and then air out in the sun, while there is still one for the toilet and another with cover material. We have 3 lids so as soon as the 4th bucket is full it is time to feed the pile.

I want lots of compost so I don't mind changing buckets often but if some one is trying to minimize the amount of emptying they should stick to cover materials more like sawdust and feed all other stuff directly to the pile or use another compost container for the paper products and kitchen scraps.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:05 pm

One adult will fill one 5 gallon receptacle in about 7 days, if the proper cover material is used. That means it will fill about 3/4 of the way (you don't want to fill it to the top). So you can figure one receptacle per week per person when it is only used for humanure.

Author: Scott (Tickridgescott)
Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:44 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Lisa,
There are three of us as well (2 adults and one ten year old). We usually add our kitchen compost scraps (fruit/veggie/ chicken/bones/teas bags/coffee filters,leftovers that are too old from fridge, etc) to the humanure bucket along with humanure deposits. We fill and empty about 5 (5 gal) buckets per week into the compost bin. I presume that if we were just counting humanure only, we would be filling between 3 and 4 buckets per week.

Author: Lisa Early (Lisarisa)
Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:57 am

Hello, I am looking into compost toilet options and was wondering how often people need to replace the 5 gallon buckets with the humanure type ...ie. every 2 days, once a week, once a month? I understand it would depend on # of people. For example we are 2 adults & 1 toddler usually...could anyone give me an idea how often?

Thanks Lisa

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.