Grey Water in cold climate

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Grey Water in cold climate
Author: Tina Little (Tinad773)
Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:03 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have a question about greywater that doesn't really relate to the subject! My question is, is there a way to "clean" the greywater so that it can be returned to the house to be reused for showers, washing dishes, etc!! Not drinking though! Please advise!

Thank you,
tinad

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:17 pm

I might avoid the railway ties if you don't already have them on site, just due to the nasty stuff that oozes out of em.

The best grey water systems I know of are the simplest ones. Your leaching box will probably work, I'm not an expert. If you are interested in ways to re-use the water you might concider running a large hose out to empty into mulch pits around trees and shrubs that need water durring the warmer months and just using the box when the plants don't need it or in the winter.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:07 pm

The system you're using is similar to what the
Amish have done in western PA for generations. It doesn't seem to have been a problem for them or anyone else.

Author: Lisa Early (Lisarisa)
Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:05 pm

I have just purchase 11 acres farm, when I purchased this place the sink already just drained out the back into a small hole filed with gravel... I have dug a big hole and layered it with a layer of gravel then sand & then built a cement block box 3ft x 3ft that i also filled half way with gravel... the whole box is below the frost line and I have left half the box open for air ...I am planning on just covering the box with some railway ties and then soil. I hope this is sufficient for disposing of our grey water ...I understand I'm not reusing the water which maybe with any suggestion I might be able to. I have not covered the hole yet so if anyone has any suggestion or comment especially if i am doing this completely wrong then please speak up asap. Mostly I could only find grey water systems that i "assumed " would only work in warm climates...ie the bath tub ones etc...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.