Feedback needed on an idea for cold-c...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Feedback needed on an idea for cold-climate humanure composting
Author: Patrick (Pcinca)
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:49 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My first full-on, legally permitted, alternative house building project was a hybrid earth house with a totally open to the South thermal windowed 2-story tall wall. Behind the thermal windowed outer wall was a small terrarium room for a solar hot tub and then a second thermal window wall with 6- 15'h by 2' dia. saline water filled columns in a row coming perpendicular off the front wall. These water columns absorbed heat during the day and released it at night. As I was working late 1 night to get the house ready for the new owners, the outside temp dropped below zero, but I was sweating in my shorts and T-shirt. I had no other heat source other than the water columns. This was an incredibly passive solar efficient house!

The original toilets I installed were a "Carosel" 4-chamber waterless composting model, 1 low-volumn toilet and later, a 1 quart, 60 lbs of air pressure unit called a "Metafor II" I think.

If this house were in Alaska or any super cold area, it would be very comfortable and not one dime spent on heating or cooling. The fireplace was strictly for ambiance and not actually needed for heat.

Author: david (Whistlepigwnc)
Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:11 pm

We live in an earthship and rely on passive solar for a greenhouse effect to warm us in the daytime.The sun shining through our extensive window array,heats things dramatically.Thanks for the idea,I'm certain it will work.It works for my house why not for my composter?...D

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 1:08 pm

It may help, as the ambient air temperature certainly affects the activity level of the compost pile. Let us know how it works for you.

Author: Lynn Jones (Lynn_jones)
Friday, November 23, 2007 - 3:52 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Winters here in Pembroke, Ontario can be very cold. I am contemplating building a Humanure Hacienda with a roof over all three bins and using polycarbonate panels to close off the front of the active bin in winter, as well as the four open sides above it, with the front panel being easily removable for adding comostables every few days. That way the upper section of the active bin, closed in by polycarbonate could function as a mini greenhouse that would help keep the compost pile active in winter.

I would love to have a little bit of feedback on this idea. Does it sound reasonable? Has anyone tried it?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.