PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS
Author: Yppg (Yppg)
Friday, May 29, 2009 - 9:43 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

a family member is a transplant recipient - on cell cept and prograf as well as prednisone. Any data on these? I believe the first two are considered carcinogenic.
Thanks for the posts on anti-biotics.

(Message edited by yppg on May 29, 2009)

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:31 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Kathy - I started a topic about pharmaceuticals here:

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/cgi-bin/messages/show.cgi?tpc=1366&post=3494#POST3494

Author: Kathy Dahl-Bredine (Kathydb)
Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:42 pm

A friend who had seen our humanure toilet recently brought up medications and what happens when somone on meds passes their chemicals into the humanure mix. Do you have any perspective on this? Will medicinal chemicals break down just as surely as harmful diseases and organisms? Any resources explaining why passing meds in the humanure should be a concern or not?

Author: Emma Holister (Emma_holister)
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:36 pm

chemical warfare

Author: Emma Holister (Emma_holister)
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:17 pm

For a crash course in pharmaceuticals and the industry that produces them you might like to check out my Doctoring Business cartoons on my art website: http://www.art-margin.com/doctoringcolversion.htm
Cartoons can make the sometimes uncomfortable information less of a bitter pill to swallow...

Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 5:28 pm

Have your friends tried the probiotics therapies for Crohns Disease? Here's a link, for example: http://www.crohns-disease-probiotics.com/.

Author: Dan Treecraft (Dantreecraft)
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:38 pm

dantreecraft back again --- I'm not sure, but I think my GI tract suffering friends, previously referred to, might be on some sort of immuno-supressant drugs. What about that? Still seem prudent to recycle their poop?

Author: Dan Treecraft (Dantreecraft)
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:32 pm

Two, otherwise doughty and gorgeous, women friends
suffer from chronic lower-digestive-tract ailments (Chrone's Disease, and/or other),and are both on perennial heavy-potency drugs of some sort. They are both much interested in humanure composting. Should they be discouraged from such? What, if any, special considerations or procedures might they employ?

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:02 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

The main cause of drugs in the water supply is the flushing of pills down the toilet--not from urine. Now it is recommended that these be disposed of in the trash.

First of all, the drugs get diluted substantially upon ingestion. Then they circulate around your bloodstream and are taken up, often modified, by receptor cells. By the time what is left of your ingested medication is at the kidneys, the liver has at least partially broken them down. Also, the hormones (birth control pills and thyroid medicine) are naturally occurring substances in healthy folks, or similar analogs thereof.

So MHO, it would be fine to compost your excretions. I wouldn't compost the pills themselves.

HTH

Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:04 am

This came via email:

Hello! I have read your site and many of the messages, but was surprised to see that my question was not listed. I am sorry to bother you but I would really like to know if I can build and use a composting toilet if I take medications. I am on some pretty hard stuff like birth control pills, proxac, and a thyroid medicine. I worry about those drugs in the general water supply too. Would it be safe/better to compost them?

Thanks so much for your time,

dk

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.