Compost causing miscarriage??

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Compost causing miscarriage??
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:34 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Large-scale composting operations can release spores and whatnot into the air when the compost materials are turned outdoors. This is not an issue with back yard compost piles.

Author: Jonathan (Jon234567890)
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:18 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi,
I am considering starting a Compost Toilet, like the one advocated in the book Humanure, this would mean I would have a compost pile about 50 feet from the back door of my house, within my back garden, but I've just heard on the radio that a Farmer in England has won his appeal against a Composting Company's planning application to extend their facilities; his arguement was that when their compost had to be turned over (aerated) this gave of spores (I was driving when listening to this, so I couldn't write the name of the spores down) which in turn cause miscarriage in his cows. He has a herd of cows 250 yards near one of these compost mounds and has abnormally high miscarriage levels amongst this herd, his other herd, 2km away, has normal levels of miscarriage: The company now has to move the mound of compost a further 250 yards away.
My concern is with having a Compost Pile within the back garden that has Hu-Manure and the potential health risk this may cause to pregnant women; I was reading the book late last night and haven't read in detail the bit about your compost pile, but from memory you dump your human (solids and urine) manure with Straw/Paper/Sawdust in the 5 gallon bucket onto your Compost Pile, and then you DON'T aerate it (turn it over - which is what releases these miscarriage causing spores), whenever the Pile is full you cover it with Straw and leave it for a year.
Please understand that I heard this news report when driving, and I am at work (on a 5 minute break) so I can't do the proper research at the moment, but I want to see if any of you guys know anything about this :?
Jon.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.