What about wood ashes?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: What about wood ashes?
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Human excrement contains a lot of nitrogen and moisture. When these are combined with carbon (plant cellulose), microorganisms love it. Wood ashes are devoid of carbon and nitrogen and even moisture. They're primarily made up of minerals. Have you read the Humanure Handbook? It's free online at http://jenkinspublishing.com/humanure_contents.html.

Author: John D. Seibert (Shush)
Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:59 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Joe: If you will please - what are the good things in our poop that make it desirable? I'm another fan, but make us feel better with understanding. I'm a "minimalist" plastic kitty
litter bucket, contents thrown on 60" high 10'x10' leaf stockade of leaves - renders beautiful compost in 11 months (sifted).

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:35 am

Wood ashes do not provide food for compost microorganisms. Better to add the wood ashes directly to your soil.

Author: Lynne Sargent (Mumsarge)
Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:31 am

Hi folks, I'm admittedly new to all this, but don't recall seeing anything about wood ashes. Can I add the ashes from my woodstove to the compost pile? Will the resulting lye (ashes+water=lye) be a problem?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.