Probably moving in a year

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Probably moving in a year
Author: Olga Lobban (Olobban)
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:47 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Wonderful. Thank you everyone for the suggestions and discussion. I'm convinced that I will just start and see what happens. How wonderful!!!

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:59 pm

I knew a lady who had a full humanure compost bin in her back yard, 30' from the house, when she moved out of state and had to leave it behind. She didn't say anything to anyone. The new owners eventually tore down the compost bins and spread the compost on the back yard. They had the nicest lawn after that.

Author: John Smith (John)
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:48 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Olga,

Here's a few options:

You can pack your crap with you, ala bucket brigade.

You can dump it at the landfill; in hope that the compost helps to lessen the effect of some of the other nasties, sure to leach out at some point in time.

You can explain to the new owners that you have a compost pile out back and that you used animal manure in it. As such, they can't use it for x-amount of time.

John

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:16 am

Olga, I can well understand your passion/obsession with compost. I feel the same. People also look at me sometimes and either say, or imply, "what a weirdo!" For me it is not a case of playing around with the "nasties," we all have inbuilt, probably instinctive reactions to stuff which is likely to harm us. But when it comes to compost, it is clean, non-smelly, wonderful material that nature has worked on for US, in a time-honoured and evolution-honed way. This is what leaves me in awe.... the intricate web of the natural world.
I have devised a bio-filter for dealing with my grey water. This tries to mimic the natural processes which take place in the mulch of the forest floor. And it works! Better than any complex, man-made techno setup.
Maybe if you put out a wish to the Universe for someone to come along and buy your place, someone who is really in tune with your obsession, then they will plead with you to leave your compost precisely where it is, so they can use it at maturity.

Author: Olga Lobban (Olobban)
Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:00 am

I can't believe I didn't start using our crap in our compost piles earlier. I'm obsessed with composting. Nothing seems to bring me as much joy as taking 100-200 bags of leaves and grass clippings that my neighbors conveniently set out for municipal garbage collection and turning it into beautiful soil.

BUT, we're probably moving in a year. Don't know if we'll sell or rent our house. I'm imagining the repercussions of telling a potential renter or buyer..."I would make sure to let that compost pile back there age for a year before doing anything with it...it's full of crap."

Albeit, ours are super fancy water conserving toilets that our water company gave us for free, I just can't stand the thought of flushing my poop with drinking water anymore.

What can I do?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.