Old carpet

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Old carpet
Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 3:03 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've never composted carpet, but I did compost my 20 year old futon. It was time to let it go, so I just cut it up (which I felt guilty about) and added it to the pile. Now it's in my garden!

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 12:02 am

I've never composted carpet, but I did compost my 20 year old futon. It was time to let it go, so I just cut it up (which I felt guilty about) and added it to the pile. Now it's in my garden!

Author: Hightide (Hightide)
Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 4:44 am

It is almost 2 years since I started Humanure composting and that exciting day arrived when I dug compost from the pile and added it to the garden. Anything and everything organic and many uncertain things have gone into the pile. I have a lot of faith in biological activity and time. Firstly the old wool carpet. Well not a total success. There must have been two types. One had some synthetic string content that didn't break down and I have had to extract it to the rubbish bin. The other had a glue content that has only partially broken down. It breaks up with the garden fork so I have just mixed it in. I won't dispose of my old carpet mulch in the compost bin now. I will also try to keep avocado skins out. On a positive note, the large stingray I found on the beach and threw in whole has completely disappeared.

Author: peter garlick (Hightide)
Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:14 am

I have been using old wool carpet to smother weeds and as mulch around fruit trees. After awhile it starts to rot and fall apart. I then chop it up and throw it in the compost bin. My humanure compost system is only 7 months old so I have not yet uncovered the fate of the carpet. It will be another one and a half years until that bin is emptied. Thanks Joe for your comment that the chemicals in the carpet are unlikely to be a problem. I'll keep doing it and post results in the future.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:09 pm

Is it wool or cotton carpeting? Let's assume it is one or the other, otherwise it wouldn't compost. I doubt that chemicals would be a problem, but can provide no hard data on the matter. If you have been composting carpeting, however, please let us know how it's working out.

Author: peter garlick (Hightide)
Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:17 am

I have used old carpet to smother weeds. once done I chop up the decaying carpet and throw it in the compost pile. I recently read that carpet should not go into compost because of the chemicals. Advice on the internet is polarised. Is there anyone with some expert advice or a direction to it?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.