Sawdust toilet on a sailboat

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Sawdust toilet on a sailboat
Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:21 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Rann, I have just had visions of a sealed 5-gallon bucket, with lid, getting washed overboard someplace, and floating off merrily to a distant shore. Someone finds it, opens it, and would this be another version of "shi(p) in a bottle?"
Get the message?
But seriously, I think it would work well... Good luck.

Alan

Author: Rann Millar (Trirann)
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:45 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Has anyone used a sawdust toilet on a cruising sailboat? Disposition of human urine and fecal matter has always been an issue in the confined space of a small boat. In international ocean waters it is legal to dump it overboard. However, lots of sailing/motoring is done less than three miles off shore, in harbors and marinas and on lakes.

I would like to try a sawdust toilet aboard my 34 foot sailboat and see just how well I can get one to work in the confines of such a space. Anyone with experience, please share so I can learn from you.

Thanks,
Rann

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.