How much humanure?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How much humanure?
Author: John D. Seibert (Shush)
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:34 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Couldn't wait to inspect humanure piles. It's frozen about 5 inches down from top. Yet portions on leeward side and down renders the same beautiful compost shown by Joe in the past. The pile is just 7-8 months old at this date. It shrunk 50%!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 7:34 pm

Thanks, Burra. In the meantime my excavation pits are filling with '08 garden plus. The butternut squash has 25 or so 30 foot leaders extended across the road; talk about succulent growth! Away with the rock and clay and feed the worms with 30 inches of castaways!

Author: Burra (Burra)
Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:21 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I guess it depends how much of a hurry you are in to use the compost. It will need a year to 'mature' after you stop adding to it, so the sooner you move to another heap, the sooner you can use the compost. If you're not in a hurry, I guess it depends how long you want to keep lifting a bucket 5 feet into the air...

Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:47 pm

My compost pile is 1.5 meter square and 5 feet high. It was built within a day with leaves from last Fall, together with scraps/cuttings. Numerous humanure deposits have been properly added. So how much is enough? Additions are made daily to the same spot dug out in middle. Otherwise no additions to pile heighth are made; leaves are my cover material. Heats to 120-135 degrees F.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.