Humanure / sawdust ratio

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Humanure / sawdust ratio
Author: Tony Edwards (Chorisia)
Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:35 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have used softwood saw dust,now useing oak both work well with varying quantities to cover;my compost bin isnt large so is mostly worm worked.

Author: Paul Gutches (Paulg)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:52 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi everyone.

Been at this about a year. It's actually kind of fun and I feel very good about doing it. I live on the semi-arid Taos mesa of northern New Mexico so conserving water is a great benefit.

My question is about the N/C ratio. Is the amount of sawdust typically required to cover the appearance and odor of the humanure and urine also the right amount to get the right C/F ratio? That is... if it's just urine, it's usually a thin coating of sawdust, just to trap the odor. If it's a typical amount of humanure, it's a few handfuls of sawdust to completely cover it.
Should that automatically get me in the ballpark of the correct ratio, or does it need to be supplemented with additional material once it reaches the compost pile in order to be closer to the mark?

Very curious to learn more about this.

Oh... and, I've basically been keeping to just sawdust (white pine from a local sawmill) and humanure/urine, plus occassionally some food scraps. Will that do it, or do I need to add more greens for air pockets and nitrogen?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.