Rain Barrel

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Rain Barrel
Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:59 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I did see an interesting attachment on a rain catchment video. It was near the bottom of the pipe that went into the storage and allowed the first volume of water to be diverted, basically causing the roof rinse water to be dumped. These devices are called first flush diverters and can be bought or home made and matched with the roof size for volume.

Author: Karen (Karen)
Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:33 am

You can get a freestanding container and add the below rainsaucer to collect the water.

http://rainsaucers.com/

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 6:13 pm

Slate (stone) roofs are good, too.

Author: John D. Seibert (Shush)
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 7:17 am

We may concern ourselves to the point of being "screwed to a standstill." Composting is cleansing Chernobyl, the biological sponge envelops my cat's contributions along with mine, and rainwater from my asphalt shingled roof collects in my recycled pepsi plastic syrup drums, unwashed of course. Sometimes, my friends, we must forge ahead with great vigor!

Author: test (Test)
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:59 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

First a thank you to J.C. Jenkins for introducing his well thought out Humanure system. Although rain barrels are not the topic of his book, I think he does mention them in his book so they are fair game I hope.

(First a word of caution - virtually all experts urge the use of food grade barrels for water storage, and this is includes water for gardening use. To be safe it probably would also extend to any water added to the composte pile.)

Asphalt shingles are made from crude oil and has other harmful chemicals (I.E PAH, coppersulphite...) if consumed. The questions are how much of these chemicals leach into the water tanks from an asphalt shingled roof, how much of these chemicals will be absorbed by plants and how dangerous the plants are to people in those concentrations. I have been unable to find answers to those questions and any advice would be helpful.

Some "experts" seem unconcerned with the above issues, other "experts" seem equally concerned. Given that water tanks are such a great idea, somebody should be studying these important issues. For now I am playing it safe rather than sorry.

I have read glazed tile roofs or enameled steel roofs are good for rain water collection for use on vegis. "Galvalume" is allegedly also good.

Any comments, suggestions would be very helpful.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.