Dry high composting

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Dry high composting
Author: billy wyman (Bubbyman)
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:22 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thanks, Mr. Jenkins. I ended up "turning" the pile a few days back, and what an education. Turns out things weren't as bad as I feared. There was decomp, but the original sawdust I used, more like wood chips, was very coarse and had not broken down much. What I've been using the last couple of months is much finer and breaks down faster. I re-wetted the pile as I turned, adding some rotted straw as I went along. Now, about 4 days later, I read 70 this morning (ambient air 28) and am encouraged!
Thanks for answering, btw.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:24 pm

Try covering the compost to keep the sun from drying it out. Make sure the cover material (sawdust) is fine or small particles.

Author: billy wyman (Bubbyman)
Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:24 pm

New here. Read the manual 6 months ago and have been a humanure zealot (maybe jihadist!) since. We are at 6500 ft/elevation in a rather cool and arid central New Mexico clime. Have done a lot of watering of the pile (which I've surrounded with straw bales) but struggle to get thermophilic conditions. Have quite a bit of experience with composting, so pretty sure of my technique, but the arid conditions are a challenge.
Wondering if there are others with good ideas on high altitude arid humanure composting. Fear that early saw dust was pretty large-flaked. Have a compost thermometer reading only about 10-20 degrees above ambient air temps.
Would appreciate any helpful guidance, friends!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.