Autumn Leaves

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Autumn Leaves
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 2:31 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

With Eucalyptus leaves, they grind down into small particles better if they are dried until brittle. In this condition the use of a heavy roller would be fine, but any method that works.
Maybe this would apply with any tree leaves.... try it.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 12:36 am

The pH of the oak leaves is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the pH of your finished compost. I would only test that and would then amend accordingly if needed.

I grind some of my leaves, but leave a large pile intact as cover material over the winter. I have had no problem with any failure in them breaking down despite not waiting for them to be converted to leaf mould.

Author: Shush (Shush)
Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 12:12 am

Those large oak leaves especially flatten out under the weight and burden of the pile and cake under snow and encapsulated and long-lasting moisture well into the summer, thus making an impervious mass that must be chopped with a maddock, ad nauseum. The idea this year is to chop all leaves without fail; if it has rained, break them up with a motorized whip (trimmer) in the bed of a pickup if need be. One 1.5 foot high pile, 4X4 feet square so far collected from mulch bag of the lawn mower shows a temp of 120 F with humanure, of course.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:54 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Why don't you get a pH test kit and find out? You can get a soil test kit from most any garden center, or you can get pH test paper from a science hobby store--the kind that sells chemistry sets.

Author: John D. Seibert (Shush)
Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:28 pm

What's the PH of Red oak leaves? My 10' x 10' corral is 5 feet deep with half oak and half maple leaves, all Pennsylvania hardwoods. 12 months renders up beautiful deterioration. By Spring, these leaves are the basis of my humanure composting. What I don't know, is whether the compost is too acidic or not, because some veggies are not getting as big as they should. Thanks, Shush.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.