Ants in cover material

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Ants in cover material
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:28 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I typically rinse my toilet containers with soapy water and pour the water into the compost - often with Ecover soap. It does not hurt the compost in any way.

Author: Al Chase (Uncleal)
Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:02 am

. Oops, I just saw that it's usual practice to rinse the buckets with soapy water and put that on the pile. So that part of my question is answered.
. Still, I'd like to know if others have an effective way of getting rid of ants in their compost.
. To fill out the particulars a little more, my "garden" is actually a big planter box on legs. After a garden consultant noticed all the ants coming and going and told me they were trouble, I set the legs in pans filled with water, with the result that ants cannot enter the planter box "on foot." Then I offed the ants that were already in the planter box. So now if I don't introduce new ants to the planter box via the compost, I know I'll have an ant-free garden. Before I blocked the ants' access, I had lots of ants coming and going and at least ten times more aphids.

Author: Al Chase (Uncleal)
Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:53 am

. I've been composting humanure for about 7 months now. About one month ago I started using newly fallen mostly dried out tree leaves for cover material in my outdoor humanure bin. Last time I went to add humanure to the bin, the leaves were teeming with ants, some of which were carrying baby ants, so it appears that an ant colony has moved in.
. I don't want ants in my garden, which is where the finished compost will go, as I've been told that ants bring aphids and carry some plant diseases.
. I know that a weak solution of dish soap in water kills ants. If I thoroughly wet the cover material with soap solution, would that harm the organisms that do the composting? I use Ecover "Ecological Dishwashing Liquid" which the manufacturer says is highly biodegradable. Or perhaps there's a different and better way to deal with the ants?
. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.