Compost in garage?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Compost in garage?
Author: Meismeems (Meismeems)
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Jeff, Joe recommends putting the compost pile on the ground, so that organisms can migrate into the pile and help break it down. In my experience, compost needs heat from the sun as well to get the 'cooking' started.

If you want to set up composting in the garage, I would recommend that you use worms to break down your pile, since it most likely will not heat up to any extent, and you'll be using the worms to get the composting going. Hope that helps!

Author: Jeff Hine (Jhiguy)
Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi. I am new to this, have read the book some time ago, and have a question.

I have looked around in the forum but have not found info on this. I am interested in setting up the compost bins in the garage. I have a limited amount of space outdoors (Urban Gardener) and feel that I may be able to set up something in the garage. My initial thoughts are that I could help study the issue of leachate, find out how much potentially builds up. I would line the bottom 18 inches or so with a high quality plastic and use a fair amount of absorbing material. So do you think I'm just asking for trouble, and what kind? Do you think smell would be a huge problem? Would it sort of heat my garage in winter? (avg. winter temp 20 degrees F) Would I need to carry in a large quantity of water to keep in running? Any advise or thoughts or "Hey buddy check out this post" will be much appreciated!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.