Mobile Compost Toilet -- for the RV

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Mobile Compost Toilet -- for the RV
Author: Creosote_composter (Creosote_composter)
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 9:48 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have the same issue. Actually I have 1.5 of my 2 buckets full already!! Living in an old canned ham trailer in national forests. I have composting friends in town that could use it.. But I'm still considering finding a remote area and digging a big hole. Also how do ponderosa needles do as cover?

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Friday, May 01, 2009 - 10:15 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Dumping a garbage bag full of raw humanure into a dumpster is no worse than dumping soiled disposable diapers. But you aren't composting. The commercial "CTs" are more like dehydrators. Seems to me the best scenario is for you to have a network of compost piles to collect your resource material.

Author: Steven Veach (Cabinhermit)
Friday, May 01, 2009 - 7:39 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have the same issue, wanting to living full-time in an RV in a few years but not wanting to use the dump sites. One forum I read had a comment where a man living in a van used a 5gal bucket lined with a heavy duty garbage bag. He used sawdust as the cover material to keep the smell down and soak up the liquid. Then when the bag was nearly full, he simply tied it up and tossed it in the public trash can.

Not sure if this is legal or not. If you used black garbage bags then no one would know and you would not be dumping more than a couple of bags in one place, so it shouldn't pose a problem. But I haven't researched it either.

Author: Seeria M (Seeria)
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 2:29 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello everyone!
I'm trying to find a way to use a compost toilet while we're traveling in the RV. We spend six to seven months camping the woods, state parks, etc, and would like to stop using modern RV toilets with all their chemicals, etc.

I see there are some commercial mobile compost toilets however I'd rather not pay those huge costs.
And none of those company sites have answered my questions:
What do you do when the bucket is full? There are no compost heaps around while traveling. Even if those gadgets can turn it into compost, that's a long time before emptying the mobile CT :-) Sooo where can it safetly, legally go?

Any suggestions on how to build a CT that can self-compost (supposedly) like these commercial ones?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.