150 degrees!

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: 150 degrees!
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 6:17 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It's OK for the temps to be that high. You should not do anything. I would definitely get more spoiled dairy products if you can. Obviously, the compost loves it. I'm sure you can figure out how much to add at one time. Depending on the size of your pile, it may take quite a lot. I add 5 gallons of "spent wine" at a time to my compost - 30 gallons over a week (but then I don't add any more because i don't have it to add). It has the same effect. I do it in the middle of the winter and the compost stays hot all year.

Author: Christine D. Robins (Dawn)
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 1:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've been doing a humanure pile for a few weeks. It's typically between 100-120 degrees at the core. But I added about a gallon of spoiled dairy products (buttermilk, cream, yogurt) over the last 2 days, and the temp has shot up to 150 today. Should I try to bring the temp down? How? I've been using primarily grass clippings for cover. Should I switch to straw until the temp goes down?

I work at a community food bank, and we often get donations of almost-spoiled dairy products from stores. The food bank manager was about to discard some that smelled bad, and I offered to instead take them home and compost them. I imagine this situation will come up regularly n the future. Should I just be careful not to add too much dairy at one time?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.