Effectiveness under unusual conditions

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Effectiveness under unusual conditions
Author: Bob Jarrad (Bobby_j)
Monday, April 20, 2009 - 8:25 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Iím wondering how effective this composting toilet procedure would work in the Australian bush. Iím really keen on the idea of using it up at our bush block in South Australia. My concerns are that itís only a holiday location and we would use it for 2 to 10 days and then not return for maybe a month or two. We are just setting set up in our bush hideaway and have been digging holes or using a porta potti.
The temperatures are very hot and dry in the summer (24 to 45degrees C). ( normally we visit the area when the temperature is averaging around 24 - 28deg C)
No one would be there to add any water to the compost heap during the times of absence. The ground becomes dust dry and flies can be very numerous, with hot winds also prevalent. I love this great environmental method, but Iím just concerned about the efficiency and hygiene under these circumstances.
Also if you partly filled the bucket and left it with the lid on for any long length of time (say 6 weeks), would this be unadvisable?
Looking forward to any suggestions or advice, as I certainly am keen on using this Humanure idea.
Regards.
Bob

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.