Sandy soil over large aquifer

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Sandy soil over large aquifer
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 7:58 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Joe, I have neighbours who also only visit their shack about every six months. They are using my old system, basically the same as your Humanure method, but employing medium sized garbage bins for storage instead of emptying onto the big compost pile. Thermophilic conditions are not intended.
The advantages of this in Belfastjane's situation are: The contents of the bin are enclosed and safe from animal access; protected from rain leaching; a label can be attached to the bin (I put the label inside a water-tight screw-top glass jar, inside the bin) to indicate the earliest permitted emptying date.
Compost worms work through the contents and it is excellent quality after 12 months storage.
Hope this helps anyone else who only collects a small quantity which cannot become thermophilic.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 6:09 pm

It's difficult to respond to this inquiry. If you're only going to use a cabin one month a year, your compost pile will be very small. Why would you think that a small compost pile would contaminate an aquifer? You probably should gain some experience with composting before embarking on a humanure experience, or else just buy an enclosed system.

Author: Belfastjane (Belfastjane)
Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 4:50 pm

I want to start adopting humanure methods at my cabin in Maine. Since it is a vacation place, where I'll spend only one month a summer, I have concerns with an unattended humanure compost pile. Our topsoil is only 4-6 inches thick and then it basically fine sand with a large aquifer below our cabin. I worry about compromising the aquifer water with humanure lechate. In this situation, would I have to do anything more that keep the compost pile on top of plastic and put a roof over the pile? I am having trouble deciding between the bucket method and buying a enclosed system (like Sun-Mar). Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.