Maggots in the bucket???

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Maggots in the bucket???
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 1:43 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

As a last resort s light dusting of Diatom. earth will stop them. Its not harmful to earth worms.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 10:37 pm

Make sure the cover material you are using has no potential fly eggs or larvae. Dry sawdust will not. Then if you cover each time you poop and still have problems and do not want to "waste" more cover material - maybe a fine screen, cloth, or solid board over the bucket may stop them. Can also try various homemeade fly traps - check Web for the paper cone over the jar trap, or the sticky tape around a bowl trap. Fruit flies are known to invade almost any moist area - toilet tanks, sinks, drains and upper sink drain, bathtub drains, wet sponges...

Author: Juniper (Juniper)
Friday, November 09, 2012 - 7:11 pm

I had the same problem this summer of maggots in my bucket, crawling out & onto the seat & lots of fruit-fly-size flies around (they may even have been fruit flies, because I had them in my kitchen compost area also, tho I do know that in our northwoods there is a fly that lives in the leaf litter usually not noticed unless you disturb the leaves. It's probably living on animal shit).
Unacceptable. I finally ended it after a series of emptying the bucket outside almost daily to interrupt the life cycle. And ensuring that the fluid level soaks the visible cover (I'm using aspen sawdust, available in bulk for horse bedding). Just covering with the sawdust didn't prevent these tiny flies from crawling thru. Yes, I get more ammonia smell from all the urine, but it's better than maggots.
Now I just noticed the statement that we aren't supposed to be using cover material in between poo deposits !?! (in message Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:12 pm
The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Humanure convert needs help...buckets stink, compost bin is full...)
Are other people holding off on covering? It would certainly help my slow composting from all the sawdust input (my pile just barely gets into the 90 range). I just started the toilet about 7 months ago.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 2:33 am

I agree with Joe here. Use more cover material. Lots more cover material. You should never be able to see poop. All poop should be covered with an inch of dry sawdust. That way the flies cannot reach the poop to lay their eggs. House flies lay their eggs directly on the substrate that the larvae will feed on. Fly eggs die if they dry out. Adding more cover material will also make you empty your buckets more often. I am just one person and I fill and empty a bucket in 4 days. I have no flies.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, August 17, 2009 - 4:34 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I should add that the cover material must be of small enough particles that flies will not go through it. Sawdust works well, but if you're using a courser material, or wood shavings or something like that, this could be the basis of your problem.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 8:53 am

Greenpoop - use more cover material. Flies are not attracted to sawdust. That will solve your problem - guaranteed.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:50 am

Look at the link I posted.

Author: Greenpoop (Greenpoop)
Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:33 am

lol... I have no idea.. they are off-white wormy things. On the flypaper we have been catching mainly common house flies I think (I've never tried to identify a fly before), so I suspected them of being the culprits.

I read on the site that if the black soldier fly larvae are in there that it might prevent the house flies from being able to live there. That would be cool, but I have no idea how I would identify the maggots?

--SJ

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:32 pm

If your maggots are black soldier fly larvae, you are in luck.

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

Author: Greenpoop (Greenpoop)
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 7:14 pm

Ok... I'm new to humanure... been doing it for only 4 months. It's just me and 2 kids, and we are using "ancient" sawdust (the old, dark-brown stuff they can't sell at the lumber yard to anyone else...lol)

Anyway, everything was running smoothly until about 2 weeks ago, when the flies started sneaking into our cabin en mass. We have hung fly papers up and catch a bunch of them that way, but we seem to miss about 6-8 flies every night that must be "hiding" and we find them the next morning as they "dive-bomb" our ears and wake us up. UGH

The problem is that they are VERY attracted to the bucket, and now we are finding maggots in the sawdust toilet by the time it's half full. Is there anything I can do about that? I don't know if it's a real health concern or just extrememly gross to me... but I figured I had better ask.

I expect to find maggots and all kinds of other "bugs" at work in the bin outside to help break everything down, but it is unsettling to have them working on it while the bucket is still inside. Especially with kids.

Any ideas?

--SJ

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.