How you manage food wastes from the k...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How you manage food wastes from the kitchen and garden residues?
Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 3:42 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Here is my experience in adding organic material (food, kitchen scraps and garden residues) to compost.

I add material in layer like sandwich, first I put receptacle of humanure, then kitchen scraps or garden residues, follow humanure,... always finish with humanure on top (one or two receptacle of humanure). Then all covered with clean cover material.

Because I add humanure in compost on 14 days, sometimes after around 9 day I add only garden residues in compost. I make depression, add garden residues, cover with compost and put old cover material, if necessary I add clean cover material.

This is a process that works well for me.

Friday, September 25, 2009 - 4:48 pm

Marc, I know slug very well, I have good book by Arthur Schnitzer "Die schnecken kommen - was tun?" and in early 90ís I even take basic course of Permaculture. Duck are the best solution, but I donít have space to feed them all year around. So I implemented other solutions, to this alien species in our region.

On that possibility I didnít think, to throw the kitchen scraps in first, then the humanure on top. I will certainly try this way next time when I will fill compost, thanks.
Danilo

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Friday, September 25, 2009 - 2:48 am

Danilo, that slug is an annoying pest here as well. I know of a few solutions for this slug but haven't implemented it yet. In permaculture they say you don't have a slug problem, you have a defiency of ducks. Ducks are voracious slugeaters, it seems.
When it is time for me to fill the compost pile, I make a crater in the pile, throw the kitchen scraps in first, then the humanure on top. That's it, definitely no need to turn it, mix it, stir it (that 'd be a nasty job). I have a pile that's been maturing since half april, and it has already turned into black gold, with seemingly more living biomass squirming in it than there is organic matter in the compost itself.
Marc

Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 4:29 pm

I like your solution Marc, usually I empty on two weeks, in this time we have 4 receptacle of humanure and 8 gallons of kitchen waste and scraps (we eat lot of vegetable and fruit) so you need a lid, if not you will have a lot of fruit flies.

In a book, Joe says to put all organic material to compost pile. I think this is good idea, because if there are any diseases in garden residues the compost will heal it.
We have vegetable garden about 2152 sq feet (200 sq meters) big and all garden stuff canít stay in garden as mulch. Because we have a Spanish slug ( Arion lusitanicus Ė more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_slug ) so you must be very carefully to balance how much mulch you put on soil.

I donít have a chipper, but this is good idea, perhaps I will cut in large pieces by hand.

Can you tell me Marc where you deposit your kitchen scraps in compost bin, in center as humanure, next by humanure?
And do you mix (strew) kitchen scraps in compost bin with some other organic material, because of C:N ratio?
Danilo

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 12:20 pm

Danilo, just find out what works best for you. The basic principle is that all things organic can go into the compost pile. I 'save up' humanure buckets until the 3 I use are full, usually after a week, then I empty those together with a bucket of kitchen waste and scraps, also a week's harvest. Garden stuff generally stays in the garden as mulch under trees and shrubs. What you could do is dry part of your garden 'residue' and pass it through a chipper and use it as cover material for your buckets or for the compost pile.
Good luck as well,
Marc

Author: Shush (Shush)
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 9:46 pm

My friend, there is no waste. Eat the corn from the cob, then deposit the cobs in the same bucket that you deposit humanure. Empty bucket every day on the compost pile and apply cover material. I acquire soft plant cuttings from the "mulch" pile nextdoor, 3-400 feet away, the residue from a retirement village's residents. This is my cover material. Good luck!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 5:57 pm

How you manage food wastes from the kitchen and garden residues?

Do you give food waste in bucket with a lid and then put a side? When is time to fill compost bin with humanure, you add also food waste or you add food waste more frequently as humanure? And where do put food waste in bin, in center, by side etc

Also I am interesting how you manage garden residues, same dilemma?

I'm interested in your experience?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.