Peat Moss

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Peat Moss
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, December 04, 2009 - 3:26 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Efaure, sure, the first thought about that plastic, glue, etc., is one of yuck! But I am wondering if in fact you could use it without problems. If I had the choice, I would be trying out a batch of that free sawdust, whatever it might contain. I would fill a bin (normal Humanure process), then when the bin is full, sprinkle a couple of litres of fresh water, then add a quantity of composting worms to it. Put the bin aside for 12 months. See if the worms happily colonise it and produce good compost. You might be find it successful or not, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained." Worms are pretty resilient organisms and will probably do ok. If the whole thing IS successful, you have found another use for an otherwise waste product.

Author: Efaure (Efaure)
Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 1:20 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hello all,
I would just like to chime in for Peat Moss as a standard cover material. I'm looking for some saw dust but it is tricky as a lot of building wood in Germany is recycled particle wood which is made with plastic, glue and whatever else they can slip into the batch. Home improvement stores are out of the question since they cut plastic and particle boards all on the same saws. So, finding P.M. was much simpler. It works great. The odors are neutralized instantly and the P.M. color is appropriate for covering what is under it ;) I do wish it was free as in saw dust and I wish it were
drier or more absorbent with urine.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.