Use of Urnie to Moisten Complete Firs...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Use of Urnie to Moisten Complete First Batch
Author: Shirley_pelland (Shirley_pelland)
Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:59 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi Joe, thanks for the info, but I am using all my greywater and rainwater on my garden and was hoping it is okay to use the extra urine to keep my first batch moist. It sounds like it is...right? We don't get very much rain here and I have to drive 10 miles to fill up a 50gal. container of chlorinated water. Which leads me to ask what effect chlorinated water might have on my humanure compost. It's probably information that is in your book but I don't recall it right now. I know that chlorine can harm benefical microbes. But I understand it evaporates from the water if I let it sit with a lid off for awhile.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, January 11, 2010 - 5:40 pm

You don't want your compost to dry out. If it dries out, it will effectively stop degrading. But you don't need urine to keep it damp - you can use rain water, graywater, or just plain water from any source. Or other organic liquids if you have them. By keeping the organic mass moist during the later stages of compost you will be benefiting fungi and a variety of organisms that are helping to achieve the final breakdown of the organic material. This isn't a problem in Pennsylvania where it rains frequently, but in the desert you will have to add water or other moisture.

Monday, January 11, 2010 - 12:30 pm

I'm not sure if I'm using the message board correctly. I don't see my response I sent out a couple of days ago. Don't I need to keep my first batch moist for a year until it is safe to use? Is there a refresh button for the message board?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 5:28 pm

Just a bit of "lateral thinking" here, recalling a method of obtaining valuable moisture in desert areas.
You recall how one can get condensation from the underside of a stretched piece of plastic film?
Inside the surface of my plastic bins and their lids, moisture condenses a lot, especially on colder nights after a hot day.
The worms in my bins love this moisture. I am wondering if this gives you any ideas. It would probably give you enough water addition to the first batch for good composting to take place.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 3:29 pm

I don't see why you can't use the urine on the first batch, but if the first batch is past the thermophilic stage, it may not be much of a benefit. In the meantime, would you be robbing the current batch of urine - i.e. nitrogen and moisture?

Friday, January 08, 2010 - 6:13 pm

Hi Fellow Humanure Composters...I am starting on my second batch and I live in a very dry area and am on water catchment. I am wondering if it is okay to use straight urine from my night collector as a moisture source on my settling first batch. I already use my grey water on my plants.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.