Lemons and Coconuts... Oh My!

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Lemons and Coconuts... Oh My!
Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 7:36 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I would use the coconut shells to make biochar instead of composting them. The biochar can then be used as cover material or just added to the compost.

Author: Caralin (Caralin)
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:28 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

It takes a LONG time to compost coconut shells: 2-3 years. When I empty my pile, I separate out the things that still need processing (bones, shells, coconut shells, larger bits of wood). These go back in the bottom of the pile for another year. Some people use a wood chipper (I do not have one)--it might work for coconut shells.

Author: Busybowels (Busybowels)
Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 4:59 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hello to all! Was wondering about a couple things, if anyone can help: I'm getting about a bucket full of lemon peels and three buckets full of coconut shells per week of waste at my work, among about a total of 10 buckets of other vegetable and meat waste. Would it be too much lemon to put in the compost pile? How much of an inbalance of lemons would disrupt the pH balance of the compost pile? And, are coconut shells even compostable? Is it possible to put the coconut shells through some sort of machine to make a sawdust type cover material, instead? Any imput is greatly appreciated. Thanks Joseph for the wonderful book!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.