How many compost piles?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How many compost piles?
Author: Burra (Burra)
Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 4:40 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have two humanure heaps, but I also have other heaps for composting stuff like grass or leaves. The humanure really needs a whole year to 'cure', but the other heaps I just use on the garden when they look rotten down enough. How many you need depends on how much stuff you can get hold of, but I started off with three compounds built next to each other and then built another one every time I ran out of space. I ended up with a row of six, but the humanure is only ever in the first two compounds.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 4:34 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

For your first question you can search in message board for visitors and here is one answer
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/cgi-bin/messages/show.cgi?tpc=1088&post=1690#POST1690

If your compost bin becomes too small then you should start with new one.

Author: Mountain_spring (Mountain_spring)
Friday, January 29, 2010 - 11:51 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Beside composting my family humanure, I would like to compost humanure of my friends place where he have visitors where I would install humanure toilet. ;)

Would you separate family humanure and unknown visitors to two diferent bins?

And another question, I'm buying a 1,5 hectares (around 4 acres) of land where I will have a lot of material for composting (grass clippings etc.).
What if my humanure compost bin(s) will not be large enough for all that material?

How would you solve that potential problem?

Thank you,
M

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.