Composting On Rental Property

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Composting On Rental Property
Author: Aaawelder (Aaawelder)
Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:53 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I can see that participation in this area is going to be a sensitive issue with make-or-break potential. From all that I have read, Humanure composting is attractive because it is simple, it works with minimum effort and complaints are nearly non-existent. All that it would take is just a few careless practitioners to ensure a ban on rental property humanure composting.

It seems to me that the system would be easier to institute and regulate if the landlords were active but, that is just wishful thinking at this point.

In the interest of promoting this practice to universal acceptance, discussing the intent before signing the lease may be the honorable course to take. If objections are raised, I can continue my search and any detriment to the practice is avoided, education initiated and maybe, just maybe, a new recruit in time.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, March 22, 2010 - 2:20 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Check your rental contract before you do anything. Even if the contract does not directly prohibit "composting" it may indirectly do so. What if the Landlord shows up and says get rid of it ? Where will you then put it ? If you have have place to dispose your unfinished compost how will you transport it ? That will cost money and time.

Not sure its a good idea.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:07 am

I think you have the right idea with the bible quote. It's easier to get forgiveness that it is permission. :-)

Author: Aaawelder (Aaawelder)
Monday, March 15, 2010 - 3:15 am

You guessed it, I'm the new kid on the block and I believe that if everyone cleaned in front of their own door, the whole world will be clean.

I'd like to admit, like others have done in this group, that I was impressed into action after
reading Mr. Jenkins' book, and for a while there, I was as happy and giddy as a child in a candy store and didn't know why. Later on, It dawned on me that the reason I felt relief was because the weight of guilt had been lifted from me. Allow me to explain.

I love the Earth in all her complexity but every time I flushed my toilet, I knew on a sub-conscience level that I was contributing to her demise. Then came the "Humanure Handbook" and suddenly I'm not the zombie world killer anymore, I'm a participating member in her healing process. It's just a drop in the ocean right now, but it will be a tidal wave soon!

I started this thread because I am a renter. I have read the concerns other members have posted about movable bins, neighbors, apartments, etc.. The question is: "How do we practice in anothers' yard?". Conceivably, I could build bins that can be transported. I've been a fabricator all my adult life. I can erect containment pans that would deal with any leaching, proving to the landowner that nothing will contaminate the original soil but, will this penetrate taboo and get me authorized? I'm thinking that this is going to be a tough row to hoe. The bible tells us not to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. Composting is widely accepted. Mine will just have a secret ingredient.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.