Help! ecoli concern

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Help! ecoli concern
Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 11:21 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

E coli has a limited life outside the body of a warm blooded animal, maybe 60-90 days.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 3:09 pm

Wren, if that were my situation, I would cultivate that part of the garden, i.e., a light digging, not too deep, working in all the material which looks like it came from the toilet. Also dig in some green waste and/or kitchen scraps. Give a good watering. Cover the area with some mulch, e.g., straw, hay, deep leaf litter. Then wait 4-6 months, and discover how well the worms and soil microbes have worked to give me a beautiful top soil.
After this - no worries at all. Plant all the vegetables I like.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 9:49 am

Just don't eat the veggies raw. Cooking will destroy the bacteria if any are present.

Author: Wren (Wren)
Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 2:58 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I just arrived at my new job as property caretaker. My only humanure experience is with fairly large piles in a dual chamber that sit for a long time.

The folks before me have filled a standard compost tumbler with humanure and I've read that it's too small to get hot enough to break down. Any suggestions for that?

More importantly, they emptied some buckets directly around some fruit trees and into garden beds. When I was prepping the established asparagus patch I found the remnants of the buckets they dumped. I removed the poop from the garden and a fair bit of the sawdust. Is the asparagus under where the buckets where dumped safe? Is the whole bed contaminated with ecoli? I definitely don't relish the thought of eating from that part of the garden.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.