Risk of attracting and breeding termi...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Risk of attracting and breeding termites and other wood eating creatures in your compost
Author: 3redgeraniums (3redgeraniums)
Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 4:56 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Should I dump my cover sawdust pile on the ground adjacent to the hacienda? I bought a truckload of bagged sawdust from a company and I think Joe said before it's used, it should be aged.
If I dump it on the ground, how do I prevent fire ants from taking over? this is in Texas.
How close to my house should the hacienda be? I'm concerned it could catch on fire and I want to have a water source available.
Thanks for anyones comments.

Author: Caralin (Caralin)
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:31 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I live in Taiwan, which is sub-tropical. Not only that, but the mountain I live on is a huge termite colony. I had to switch from pallets to concrete blocks to house my compost pile. The termites consumed the pallets faster than the two years I gave my pile to process (1 year adding, one year composting). Increasing and maintaining moisture are important for keeping the termites from incorporating your pile into their breeding colony.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 9:14 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I doubt that termites would be much of a problem in a well maintained compost pile. They couldn't live with the temperatures or the moisture.
A bigger problem are those cords of firewood piled up in the yard.

Author: Atcosi (Atcosi)
Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 3:59 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I was wondering how you can deal with this risk with composting. Will termites and other wood eaters thrive in the compost? If they do, how do you manage that risk? I mean you wouldn't want to breed them and have them turn on the timber houses in your area.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.